Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spooking - Tips and Comments welcome!

Azenha de Maripa, one-rein stop practice at a canter

How many times do I hear – I want a bombproof horse?  We use so many terms that are not defined well in horsemanship, but what does this mean?  It could mean a dead horse walking.  But to many, it means a horse they can trust to take care of the rider.  Most accidents happen when the horse bolts or tries to lose the rider in an effort to save themselves from whatever impending danger they see.
Every horse spooks in some fashion at some time.  My favorite variety is the stiff-legged tabletop spook, where after being startled, the horse freezes into position.   Spooking is a natural reaction that any living thing has when something is scary or startling.   I know I jump during the big thunderstorms at the loud crashes. 

There is no substitute for a relationship with your horse and building their trust in you.  Then, during a scary moment, they startle and then check in with you to see what they should do.  You can teach your horse all about the things that might be scary, but in the end, you cannot train for every new situation, so their trust is my primary safety net.
Koyote Libertas, because he trusts me, he often checks in with me when he see something scary.


My second safety item is lateral flexion and the one-rein stop.  I teach this to all my horses from the time they are foals.  Bits do not stop horses, no matter how strong.  This stop is then automatic and there if I ever need it.


I do believe the Marchador has a good mind, perhaps different than many other breeds.  We rode in the Rose Bowl Parade as our first parade when Bossa Nova was 3 years old!  From what I learned afterwards, that was crazy!  She handled the whole experience with ease.

I also think the breed and genetics do matter.  You can choose a breed or breeding pedigree that may be calmer, less reactive and a better mind.  People talk about dog breeds all the time, but we rarely make the connection to horse breeds. 


 What do you do to help your horse?

1 comment:

  1. Other TIps

    Is your horse confined too much? Besides getting the exercise he needs, being outside exposes your horse to all the birds, dogs, wind, rain, ground water, etc.

    Make noise during training. Go ahead wear that plastic rain gear.

    Let them look around on the trail, BUT if they start to focus intensely on one object, pull their focus back to you before they decide to react.

    Ride past scary objects by YOU focusing on something beyond it. Don’t you look at it too; the horse will be more convinced it’s something to be worried about.

    Ride with an older horse that is un-flappable. Nothing like experience to further relax your horse.

    Train at a walk, then increase the speed.

    ReplyDelete